Monday 26 December 2016

Pondering the Death of George Michael

When I awoke this morning, the last news I expected to hear on the radio was that My Boy George was dead - at the young age of 53! I think that was the shock, that he's a few years older than I am. It's scary when people are dying from your age group. 

When you're young, you think only old people die - people in their 50s, 60s, 70s. Then you reach that age and you think 40 is too young to die; 50 is too young to die. Yet these mega-stars died young. Michael (Jackson) was 50.


 Whitney Houston (seen here with Jordin Sparks from "Sparkle") was 48


Prince was 57. 


Now My Boy George - age 53? I loved their music. All of them. I have no Michael Jackson or Prince CDs. I have a few Whitney CDs and I made sure a George Michael compilation was among my first CD purchases. 

I know they all had controversies in their lives - issues with drugs, alcohol, lifestyle choices. Just the rigours of the touring scene must've been tough on their bodies - but My Boy George looked clean enough and healthy enough. Michael Jackson had image issues over the last decade and half of his life - only to be vindicated in death. Prince, well, he was always a character so anything was possible with him - and Whitney, her battles with drug addiction also became public, yet when she died it was unbelievable, after looking so magnificent in "Sparkle". 

So all I could do is offer up a mighty prayer for divine protection for our Bajan-born pop icon, Rihanna, and another of my fave artistes, Mariah Carey and her two children.

But for now, I'm remembering my fave George Michael songs, beginning with "Careless whisper":




And "One More Try":


Then there are the duets: "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" with the inimitable Sir Elton John.


"I Knew You Were Waiting" with the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin:


And "If I Told You That" with The Voice, Whitney Houston:


Even when not singing in English, he's great with Astrud Gilberto on "Desafinado":

Then to the solos, the ever-popular "Faith":


And from his days with Wham, one of my Christmas faves: 


Well, My Boy George, it was sad news. I guess it really has been a surreal year. Donald Trump is actually president elect of the United States and now George Michael is gone, at age 53. Rest in peace my poster boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment